Research was at the heart of the Enhancing Interdisciplinary Collaboration in Primary Health Care (EICP) Initiative. An ambitious research plan was designed and carried out to support the change management activities undertook by the initiative. Throughout the life of EICP, six major research projects were undertaken aiming to:
- Provide an overview of interdisciplinary collaboration in primary health care in Canada, including a literature review.
- Examine the core elements that affect interdisciplinary collaboration in primary health care nationally, including the policy context and individual providers and health service organizations
- Identify guiding principles and a framework to encourage, facilitate, and support interdisciplinary practices
- Provide real-life examples of successful collaborative practices in primary health care
- Provide practical tools to support interdisciplinary practices